Lock 33 - Lindsay

Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site

The Lindsay Lock allows access from the main navigation channel to Lake Scugog. The lock station is located centrally in the Town of Lindsay. Boaters who wish to navigate beyond Lindsay should note that there is a fixed bridge with a 3.7 metre (12ft) clearance and that the channel depths vary greatly throughout the season.

Getting here
  • Address: 3 King St, Lindsay, ON K9V 1C5
  • Nautical chart: #2026 (more on Nautical charts)
  • Kilometer marker: 251.6 km (mile 156.4)
  • GPS: 44°21'25.7"N 78°44'05.5"W

Hours of Operation


Contact:

Navigational data
  • Lock length: 36.6 m (120 ft)
  • Lock width: 9.7 m (32 ft)
  • Average lift: 2.1 m (7 ft)
  • Max. mooring period: 2 nights

Facilities and services
  • Overnight mooring
  • Camping (not recommended)
  • Washrooms
  • Potable water
  • Picnic area
  • Visitor information
History
Lindsay  lockstation
Constructed: 1837-1844; 1870;1909-1910

Lock 33 was built at Purdy’s Mill during the first phase of canal construction but was subsequently converted to a timber slide when traffic declined. It was rebuilt by the Ontario Government in the 1870s, and the lock and dam were transferred to the Federal Government in 1906 and later rebuilt in concrete. Today, this lock is still one of five locks that are operated with manual sweeps.

Tourism information
Google Street View

Date modified :