Info-Work: Impact on Rideau Canal Waterway
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, July 18, 2019 – Please be advised that the National Capital Commission (NCC) began construction on the Hogs Back Swing Bridge rehabilitation project on Monday, July 15, 2019 and are expected to be on site until spring 2020.
Throughout the duration of this project there will be limited public access to the swing bridge. The lockstation will become a staging area and will be closed to motor vehicles. Cyclists and pedestrians will still be able to access the site to cross the canal and are asked to respect signage and barricades on site.
Boating will not be impacted. However, we do ask that boaters exit their vessel to speak with lock staff prior to entering the lock chamber. As the underpass tunnel commonly used to access the lockstation will be closed for public use, a temporary dock will be installed to allow boaters to disembark and cross from the wharf to shoreline. Please follow the staircase located adjacent to the wharf that leads to Hogs Back Road and cross Hogs Back Road to access the lockstation through the public use driveway.
Parks Canada urges all visitors to exercise caution, respect working crews and equipment, and obey signage and flag persons at the site.
Any questions on the project itself should be directed to the National Capital Commission Media Relations representative:
• National Capital Commission
• Rehabilitation of the Hog’s Back Swing Bridge
- Construction Advisory: Hogs Back Fixed Bridge
- Info-Work: Temporary One Lane Closure on Hogs Back Fixed...
- Info-Work: Intermittent Delays for Vehicles on Hog’s Back...
- Community Update: Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Project Update
- Info-Work: Closure of Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Beginning on...
- Info-Work: Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge Rehabilitation
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Community Update: Phase One Concrete Repairs Underway
- Community Update: Cofferdam to be installed
- Community Update: Construction to Begin
- Info-Work: Temporary Closure Pedestrian Walkway
- Info Work- Temporary Closure
- Info-Work: Inspection of Hogs Back Dam
- Date modified :