Community Update: Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Project Update
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
December 23, 2020 – Parks Canada advises that the Hogs Back fixed bridge will re-open for vehicle traffic in mid-January 2021.
This project is part of a larger federal infrastructure renewal program and will improve safety for all bridge users. Parks Canada is responsible for protecting nationally significant examples of natural and cultural heritage and sharing the stories of these treasured places.
BackgroundThe Hogs Back fixed bridge has undergone extensive repairs and rehabilitation which began in 2018 as part of the Federal Infrastructure Investment Program. The work on the Hogs Back fixed bridge was completed in two distinct phases.
The first phase involved repairs to the piers and abutments of both the dam and bridge, the east and west upstream retaining wall, and the tunnel under the west abutment of the bridge. The second phase began in April of this year when work commenced to replace the bridge deck. As part of the bridge deck replacement, a new multi-use pathway was constructed which links directly into Canada’s Capital Pathway network. Additionally, new lampposts and bridge barriers were installed to ensure a safe travel experience for all visitors to the area. Guard rails will be installed in January prior to the bridge re-opening to traffic.
Parks Canada advises that contractors will be back on site in the spring to complete final landscaping to finish this extensive site revitalization. Once this is finished, all facets of work will be complete on this successful, multi-year project.
More InformationFor questions or concerns, or to receive email updates regarding this project, please contact us at RideauCanal.Info@pc.gc.ca. For news about this or other infrastructure projects in your area, please visit www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/rideau/visit/infrastructure.
- Info-Work: Temporary One Lane Closure on Hogs Back Fixed...
- Info-Work: Intermittent Delays for Vehicles on Hog’s Back...
- Info-Work: Closure of Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Beginning on...
- Info-Work: Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge Rehabilitation
- Info-Work: Impact on Rideau Canal Waterway
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Community Update: Phase One Concrete Repairs Underway
- Community Update: Cofferdam to be installed
- Community Update: Construction to Begin
- Info-Work: Temporary Closure Pedestrian Walkway
- Info Work- Temporary Closure
- Info-Work: Inspection of Hogs Back Dam
- Date modified :