Info-Work: Closure of Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Beginning on May 4
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
Smiths Falls, Ontario, April 29, 2020– Parks Canada would like to advise that the Hogs Back Fixed Bridge, that spans the Rideau Canal National Historic Site, will be closing to vehicle traffic on May 4, 2020 with an anticipated reopening in late December 2020. This work is part of a larger federal infrastructure renewal project, which will result in improved, safer traveling experiences for bridge users.
During this forthcoming closure, the contractor will replace the deck on the Hogs Back fixed bridge. Detours will be in place for vehicle traffic, as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
Work will be ongoing concurrently for both the Hogs Back Swing Bridge and the Hogs Back Fixed Bridge during the spring and summer months. From May 2020 until approximately the end of August 2020, road closures to vehicular traffic will include Hogs Back Road between Prince of Wales Drive and Riverside Drive, as well as for Colonel By Drive between University Drive and Hogs Back Road. Following the reopening of the Hogs Back Swing Bridge, expected at the end of August, Hogs Back Road between Prince of Wales Drive and Colonel By Drive will reopen, with only the portion of Hogs Back Road between Colonel By Drive and Riverside Drive remaining closed until the end of December.
For cyclists and pedestrians, a detour around the construction site will be in place for the full period from May to end of December 2020. The detour will pass over the deck of the Hogs Back Dam and through the National Capital Commission’s Hogs Back Park, rejoining to the pathways along Hogs Back Road. Signs will be in place to direct all traffic to the appropriate routes.
Visitor safety is a priority for Parks Canada. Members of the public are asked to respect the detours in place and use caution in the areas surrounding the Hogs Back Swing and Fixed Bridges. Parks Canada appreciates the patience from the travelling public and apologizes for the inconvenience of this closure.
The upgrades to the Hogs Back Fixed Bridge are part of the Government of Canada’s Federal Infrastructure Investment program. Parks Canada is leading this important infrastructure work to ensure safe, high-quality experiences for visitors by improving heritage, visitor, waterway, and highway assets located within national historic sites, national parks, and national marine conservation areas.
- Parks Canada is following advice from public health experts and implementing measures to support Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the risks to Canadians, visitors, Parks Canada team members, and contractors working at our places.
- Parks Canada is calling on Canadians to stay home and help limit the spread of COVID-19. Camping, group activities and events at all national parks, national historic sites, heritage canals and national marine conservation areas are suspended until at least May 31, 2020. The current suspension of visitor services and vehicle access by visitors, as well as the temporary closure of visitor facilities, will remain in place until further notice. The Agency will continue to monitor the situation closely and take action, as required, to mitigate risks to visitors and team members.
- Parks Canada’s construction projects are considered part of the Agency’s critical services to the public. Most scheduled construction activities are proceeding as planned, but are subject to change due to the evolving situation related to COVID-19. Parks Canada will continue to communicate all developments to the public.
For questions or concerns, or to receive email updates regarding this project, please contact us at Rideau.firstname.lastname@example.org. For news about this or other infrastructure projects in your area, please visit our public website at www.parkscanada.gc.ca/rcinfrastructure.
- Info-Work: Temporary One Lane Closure on Hogs Back Fixed...
- Info-Work: Intermittent Delays for Vehicles on Hog’s Back...
- Community Update: Hogs Back Fixed Bridge Project Update
- Info-Work: Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge Rehabilitation
- Info-Work: Impact on Rideau Canal Waterway
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Community Update: Phase One Concrete Repairs Underway
- Community Update: Cofferdam to be installed
- Community Update: Construction to Begin
- Info-Work: Temporary Closure Pedestrian Walkway
- Info Work- Temporary Closure
- Info-Work: Inspection of Hogs Back Dam
- Date modified :