Community Update: Couchiching Fixed Bridge at Lock 42 Construction Update
Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site
June 11, 2020 – Work is progressing at the project to replace the fixed bridge at Couchiching Lock 42, which connects Canal Road above the lock near Washago. Completion of the project allowing vehicles across the bridge is now expected in early fall of this year. Work on the bridge does not impact navigation.
Parks Canada’s construction projects are considered part of the Agency’s critical services to the public, and scheduled construction activities for the rehabilitation of the fixed vehicular bridge at Couchiching Lock 42 have continued throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notwithstanding the best efforts of all concerned to reduce negative impacts of COVID-19 on our ongoing infrastructure projects along the Trent-Severn Waterway, this project has experienced delays due to the availability of workforce and key materials. In addition, the found condition of concrete at the site was poorer than original tests indicated, requiring additional work in removal. Parks Canada maintains oversight on all infrastructure projects and has worked closely with our colleagues at Public Service and Procurement Canada, as well as our partners in industry, to reduce negative impacts construction as much as possible.
The health and safety of Canadians, visitors, and Parks Canada team members is of the utmost importance to the Agency. We will continue to communicate any developments in project status or schedule that impact the public.
To date, road excavation and 100% of the planned concrete removal of the abutments and wing walls has been completed. Some additional, localized concrete is still to be removed. Following the delivery of materials, rebar and concrete forms will be installed in preparation for pouring concrete.
For questions or concerns, or to receive email updates regarding this project, please contact us at Ont.TrentSevern@pc.gc.ca and include “Couchiching Bridge” in the subject heading. For news about this or other infrastructure projects in your area, please visit www.parkscanada.gc.ca/tswSevernGravenhurst.
UPDATE ON COVID -19
Parks Canada is following advice from public health experts and implementing measures to support Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the risks to Canadians, visitors, Parks Canada team members, and contractors working at our places.
- Starting June 1, 2020, Parks Canada began the process of gradually resuming some operations at certain national parks, national historic sites, historic waterways, and national marine conservation areas. All camping facilities remain closed until at least June 21, 2020. Opening dates, visitor access and services will vary across the country. Parks Canada has only opened places where measures can be implemented to minimize health and safety risks to employees and visitors. Canadians are encouraged to visit parkscanada.gc.ca frequently for information and updates.
- Parks Canada’s construction projects are considered part of the Agency’s critical services to the public. Scheduled construction activities are proceeding as planned, but are subject to change due to the evolving situation related to COVID-19. Parks Canada will continue to communicate all developments to the public.
- Whites Portage Dam Replacement Construction Update
- Reminder: Extended Lane Closure of Port Severn Road North
- Questions & Answers - Whites Portage Dam
- Whites Portage Dam Replacement - Public Comment Period for...
- Info-Work: Temporary Closure for Paving
- Info-Work: Fixed Bridge at Couchiching Lock 42 Open to...
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Hamlet Bridge to Close Overnight for Repair
- Info-work: Whites Portage Dam Rehabilitation
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Info-Work: Bridge Replacement: Washago at Couchiching Lock...
- Info-Work: Road Closure to Replace Bridge: Washago at...
- Info-Work: Temporary Road Closure: Washago at Couchiching...
- Info-Work: Geotechnical Work at Couchiching Lock 42
- Hamlet Bridge 57 Replacement
- Rehabilitation of Port Severn Area Dams and Bridges
- Date modified :