Community Update: Construction Update
Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site
December 18 2020 – Parks Canada is pleased to advise that the steel fixed bridge structure at Couchiching Lock 42 has been installed.
With project manager Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), Parks Canada continues to closely monitor the most recent schedule provided by the Contractor, as several project tasks remain before the bridge will support traffic, and before the project can be considered complete. Parks Canada and PSPC are investigating options to open the bridge to vehicular traffic in January 2021. It is important to note, there will be additional, short-term closures in the spring months to finalize the project.
Continued delays throughout the project have meant a completion date that has been moved multiple times. Parks Canada will continue to work with colleagues at PSPC to reduce negative impacts as a result of construction as much as possible. PSPC is implementing contractual tools that are available to the Government of Canada, seeking to expedite work and bring the project to its completion. Further updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
BackgroundWork on the fixed bridge at Couchiching Lock 42, which connects Canal Road above the lock near Washago, began in the winter of 2019/20. The scope of work has included a full replacement of the fixed bridge, re-facing of the bridge abutments, and road work on the bridge approaches. The nature of the work on the bridge has meant that navigation through the Trent- Severn Waterway has not been impacted.
More InformationFor questions or concerns, or to receive email updates regarding this project, please contact us at Ont.TrentSevern@pc.gc.ca and include “Couchiching Bridge” in the subject heading. For news about this or other infrastructure projects in your area, please visit www.pc.gc.ca/tswSevernGravenhurst.
- Whites Portage Dam Replacement - Public Comment Period for...
- Info-Work: Temporary Closure for Paving
- Info-Work: Fixed Bridge at Couchiching Lock 42 Open to...
- Hamlet Bridge to Close Overnight for Repair
- Community Update: Couchiching Fixed Bridge at Lock 42 ...
- Info-work: Whites Portage Dam Rehabilitation
- Community Update: Construction Update
- Info-Work: Bridge Replacement: Washago at Couchiching Lock...
- Info-Work: Road Closure to Replace Bridge: Washago at...
- Info-Work: Temporary Road Closure: Washago at Couchiching...
- Info-Work: Geotechnical Work at Couchiching Lock 42
- Hamlet Bridge 57 Replacement
- Rehabilitation of Port Severn Area Dams and Bridges
- Date modified :