Wood Buffalo National Park
Fishing season is open from Victoria Day in May until October 15 each year. Get your fishing permit by visiting the Visitor Centre in Fort Smith, NT or Fort Chipewyan, AB or by calling 867-872-7960 Fees apply.
Top Places to Fish
The best places to fish are in the rivers and lakes that border the park, including:
- Slave River
- Salt River
- Peace River
- Athabasca River
- Rivière des Rochers
- Chenal des Quatre Fourches
In these rivers, you may find whitefish, northern pike, walleye and goldeye, although the silty waters make fishing more challenging.
than 43 cm
Know before you go
- Be familiar with the National Park Fishing Regulations found here
- Sinkhole lakes, like Pine Lake, are not suitable for fishing as they do not have inflow or outflow channels.
- Saline conditions, and shallow, muddy lakes located within the park are not good habitat for fish.
- On some rivers and waterways the use of motorized watercraft including recreational fishing requires authorization
- Date modified :