History of Kilmarnock lockstation
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
Specifications of the lockstationOne lock with a lift of 0.7 m (2.3 feet).
The Construction of the lockstationThe contractor for Kilmarnock was Bell, Richardson & Co.
For most of the 19th century, Kilmarnock was known as Maitland's Lock, after James Maitland, a retired soldier, on whose property the lockstation was built. Maitland was appointed the first lockmaster of the station.
Large boulders lodged in soft mud proved extremely difficult to excavate and Colonel By was compelled to revamp his original plans, repositioning the lock and lowering its planned lift in order to speed up construction at the site.
Structures of the lockstationLockmaster's House: The defensible lockmaster's house is believed to have been built in 1842. It was originally a one-storey structure but a stone second storey was added early in the 20th century.
Engineering Structures: In 1832 a wooden rolling bridge was built across the lock. In 1871 it was replaced by a wooden swing bridge, which has been maintained over the years and is now one of only four bridges of this type remaining on the Rideau, the others are at Lower Brewers, Brass Point and Nicholsons.
- Date modified :