History of Davis lockstation
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
Specifications of the lockstationSingle lock with a lift of 2.7 m (8.9 feet).
The Construction of the lockstationThe original contractor for Davis was Donald McLever. He went bankrupt in 1829 and the job was completed by a partnership of Robert Drummond (contractor for Kingston Mills) and John Haggart (contractor for Chaffeys).
Davis lockstation is situated 7 km (4.3 miles) upstream from Jones Falls and, prior to construction, was the location of a sawmill established by William Davis Jr. in about 1818-1820. Similar to several other mill sites along the Rideau, Davis' mill was bought out by Colonel By and destroyed by the construction of the canal.
Structures of the lockstationLockmaster's House: The defensible lockmaster's house is a single storey stone building with later additions to accommodate the needs of lockmasters and their families.
Engineering Structures: The lockstation consists of a single lock to move boats between Sand Lake and Opinicon Lake. In conjunction with the lock, a 4.9 m (16 foot) high dam was built to raise the water level in Opinicon Lake, along with a waste weir to regulate the water level above the dam.
- Date modified :