Rodrigue Property

Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site

Meet one of the men who sailed the merchant ships at anchor in the harbour.

Rodrigue Storehouse
Rodrigue Storehouse

Michel Rodrigue (1710-1777) learned seamanship from his father and he helped build a family trading business in their schooner Revanche. In the 1730s he sailed frequently up the Saint Lawrence with French and West Indian goods to trade for the Canadian grain, flour and dried vegetables Louisbourg needed. As he prospered Rodrigue hired captains to haul his freight around the Atlantic. He married a daughter of Joseph Lartigue and rented this house from his uphill neighbour, adding the storehouse where his merchandise is stocked.

Rodrigue and his wife, Marguerite, lived here with their five children, his siblings, and Catherine and Laurent, two enslaved people. Marguerite, a young Mi’kmaw girl, lived with the Rodrigues as an indentured servant.

As a leading citizen Rodrigue commanded a militia company in the 1745 siege, but after the fall of the town he moved his business to France. As he safeguarded his wealth in property investments around La Rochelle, his brothers came back to handle his Louisbourg trade.

The reconstructed site
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
1 Desroches House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Dauphin Gate
- Dauphin Demi-Bastion
2 Powder Magazine
3 Barracks
4 Postern Tunnel
5 Embrasures at Lartigue
6 Lartigue House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Lime Kiln
7 Artillery Storehouse
8 Artillery Forge
9 King's Bakery Food service
- Woodlot
10 Duhaget House (Wheelchair accessible)
Garrison and Fortifications Exhibit
- Icehouse
11 De la Perelle House (Wheelchair accessible)
Congrégation de Notre-Dame Exhibit
12 De la Perelle Storehouse
13 Engineer's Residence
14 Laundry and Stables
15 Rodrigue House
16 Rodrigue Storehouse
17 De Gannes House (Wheelchair accessible)
18 Guardhouse
- King's Bastion
19 Military Chapel
20 Governor's Apartments
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
21 King's Bastion Barracks
Reconstruction, Tools of War, and Archeological Typography Exhibits
- King's Garden
22 McLennan Centre (Wheelchair accessible) (Wifi available)
Virtual Reality Experience
23 De la Plagne (Wheelchair accessible) (Information)
24 De la Vallière House
Mi'kmaw Interpretive Centre
25 De la Vallière Storehouse
26 De la Vallière Storehouse II
- Fizel and Loppinot Properties
- Dugas House
27 Carrerot House
Building Techniques Exhibit
28 Benoist House (Wheelchair accessible) (Gift shop)
29 L'Épée Royale Café (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
30 King's Storehouse
31 Hôtel de la Marine (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
32 Grandchamp House (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Frédéric Gate
- Carcan
33 Grandchamp Inn (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Destouches House
34 Ordonnateur's Residence (Wheelchair accessible)
Recollecting Lives Exhibit & Harbour Gallery
35 Bigot Storehouse
36 Stables
- Louisbourg Cross
37 Marie Marguerite Rose plaque
- Eastward along the Quay
- Ruins Walk
Date modified :