Mount Stephen: Stone bugs galore!
Yoho National Park
Guided hike bookings:
- Reservation launch: Tuesday, January 23 2024 at 8:00 am MT
- Online 24/7
- By calling: 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783)
Mount Stephen hike
Return Distance: 9 km
Elevation Gain: 795 m
Duration: 7.5 hours (7:00 am to 2:30 pm)
Hold a 500 million year old fossil in your hand!
On this short and steep adventure you will hike to the Mount Stephen trilobite beds that overlook the town of Field, BC. This historic site is where railway workers reported finding ‘stone bugs’ in the 1880s.
Delight in finding countless trilobites and enjoy expansive views of the Kicking Horse River below.
Is this hike right for you?
The Mount Stephen hike is rated as difficult and involves very steep elevation gain (795 m) over the relatively short distance of 4.5 km. From the Town of Field, you hike through steep, rustic forest trails before arriving to the Mount Stephen trilobite beds. There will be several short breaks along the trail to catch your breath. Your efforts are rewarded with spectacular views of the surrounding mountains, glaciers and the Kicking Horse River valley. The descent is sustained and steep. This hike is not advised for people with recurring knee, back or ankle injuries. Hiking poles are mandatory on this hike.
Please see our day hikes page for details on hike ratings and to compare other hikes in Yoho National Park with similar difficulty.
We want you to enjoy your day! If you are unsure if this hike is right for you, please call us to discuss at 1-250-343-6783 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Children under 8 are not allowed on the Mount Stephen hike
- Children and youth up to 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult
- Parent or guardian of participants 17 to 19 years of age must sign a waiver at the trailhead
- No pets
- No exceptions
Schedule - 2024 Mount Stephen Guided Hikes
Mount Stephen guided hikes operate from June 14 to September 8, 2024.
|every Friday, Saturday and Sunday
|July and August
|Saturday, Sunday and every other Friday
|the first Saturday and Sunday
When travelling east from Vancouver, the time changes from the Pacific Time Zone to the Mountain Time Zone at Glacier National Park’s eastern boundary. All hike times are in Mountain Daylight Time, the same time zone as Calgary, Alberta and Golden, British Columbia.
Visit our fees page for pricing.
All participants on the Burgess Shale Guided Hikes require a valid national park pass. Purchase your pass the day before your guided hike; the park gates and visitor centres are not open in the early morning, and our guides do not sell park passes.
Reservations are required and available starting January 23, 2024. To make a reservation you will require the following information:
- Dates and hike requested
- Names and ages of participants
- Emergency contact and medical info
- MasterCard, Visa or AmEx number
Call 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783), or reserve online:Reserve now!
Meet in front of the Yoho National Park Visitor Centre at 7 am MDT.
The Visitor Centre is located on the Trans-Canada Highway in the community of Field, British Columbia. Hike ends at same location.
What to bring
A day of hiking in the Rockies requires preparation. Conditions can change rapidly in the mountains and higher elevations increase your exposure to the sun and stormy weather. To have a safe and fun time outdoors you will need to bring:
- Warm layers of clothes (no cotton), rain jacket and rain pants, winter gloves, and a winter toque / hat
- Hearty lunch and multiple snacks
- Drinking water, at least 2 litres or ½ gallon per person
- Sturdy and worn in hiking boots and extra wool socks
- Hiking poles (required for the Mount Stephen hike). Note: Your guide may have hiking poles for you to borrow for the day.
- Sturdy and supportive backpack with a waist belt
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, sun hat, insect repellent
- Toilet paper in a plastic bag for disposal, hand sanitizer
- Reading glasses, if you wear them
- Blister kit and personal medical supplies (just in case)
- Sorry, no pets please.
- Date modified :