Passes and permits
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
Various passes or permits are required for transiting through the locks on the Rideau Canal, and for mooring overnight at lockstations. Visitors travelling by boat or paddlecraft (kayaks and canoes) will be required to show permits for lockage and/or overnight mooring.
2023 Early-bird sale!
Get a 20% discount on a seasonal lockage permit and a 10% discount on the seasonal mooring permit when you order the package by March 31, 2023!
- Seasonal lockage
Allows passage through any number of locks (Ontario and Quebec) throughout the entire navigation season
- 6-day lockage
Allows passage through any number of locks on any six days
- 1-day lockage
Allows passage through any number of locks in a single day
- Transit lockage
One-way travel through the entire Rideau Canal system
- Single Lockage and Return
Fee charged to travel through and then return by the same lock station
- Seasonal mooring:
- Allows day and overnight mooring at seven historic canals and two national parks throughout the entire navigation season
- Overnight mooring
- Allows boaters to stay overnight at lockstations on a first-come first-served basis
Where to purchase permits
Permits are available for purchase at most lockstations on arrival.
Purchase by phone
Phone number: 1-888-773-8888
How fees are calculated
- Vessel length is used to calculate lockage and mooring fees
- Vessels 12ft and under are charged a minimum rate for all permits
- Vessels towing a boat (aluminum, fiberglass, rubber dinghy or personal watercraft) regardless of size, with or without an engine, will require a lockage permit for the towed craft
- A mooring permit for a towed vessel is also a requirement
Displaying your permit
- Permits are valid only during the year of issue and are not transferable or refundable
- Seasonal lockage, mooring or transit decals must be affixed to the vessel
Camping permits are issued on a first-come first served basis at most lockstations at the discretion of the lockmaster.
- Fees are determined by group size
- Boaters with overnight mooring permits camp for free
Overnight accommodations reservations
Bookings for oTENTik sites along the Rideau Canal, are made through the Parks Canada Reservation Service or by phoning: 1-877-737-3783.
Reservations for historic accommodations are managed by Rideau Lakes Cottages. Visit their websiteMore information about overnight accommodations
Special Events (including on-water activity taking place over the bed of the Rideau Canal National Historic Site) must have a valid Special Events permit in order to proceed.
Before you visit the Rideau Canal National Historic site, please read and review the rules and regulations that help protect this special place. All visitors who transit the locks and stay overnight are expected to understand and follow these guidelines.See all Visitor Guidelines
- Date modified :