Application form

All photographic, video and film imagery undertakings on a commercial basis (e.g., intending to sell images or sharing images with sponsors) in a national park reserve must go through an approval process. Profit and Not-for-Profit ventures must follow this process. Parks Canada reserves the right to determine whether an end product results in personal or corporate gain.

Non-professional photography and video capture taken by visitors on their cameras and phones do not need a permit and are enthusiastically encouraged as long as they respect wildlife and are safe.

It is important to be aware that the use of Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs) or drones is a restricted activity and requires the permission of the Park Superintendent. Generally, a Transport Canada issued Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) is required to operate a UAV within the park boundaries, in addition to a Parks Canada UAV permit.

With this in mind, film permitting at Thaidene Nene National Park Reserve generally follows this process:

  • Contact the Park ( to determine if you need a film permit.
  • Complete the detailed application form and return to Parks Canada for review.
  • The film proposal is reviewed and depending on its scope and scale it may require preliminary screening under the Mackenzie Valley Review Board and the Thaidene Nëné management board. The applicant may be asked to present an overview by teleconference for discussion.
  • Notification of film permit approval/conditions or its denial is delivered to the applicant.
  • Applicant provides proof of insurance as per attached Film Permit guidelines.
  • If approved, the permit documentation is delivered for signature by all parties once fees are paid.


For filming in the community of Łutsël K'é please contact the Łutsël K'é Dene First Nation for more information For filming in the Northwest Territories other than in national parks please follow the guidelines provided on the Northwest Territories Tourism and Government of Northwest Territories: and Northwest Territories Tourism:


What works well for filming in the Thaidene Nene?

  • Productions involving minimal equipment and crew size.
  • Productions with minimum impact on the environment and visitors, e.g, avoiding locations that are more popular visitor attractions.
  • Productions contributing to public awareness, appreciation and understanding of Canada’s national parks and Parks Canada.
  • Productions that work with and respectfully incorporate the story of our Indigenous partners in the history and management of the park.


When’s the best time to plan filming in the Thaidene Nene?

Thaidene Nëné is accessible via float/ski plane, boat or via scheduled flight into Łutsël K'é. Please contact Park Canada or Łutsël K'é staff for more information.

Can Parks Canada plan the filming locations for the production?

Parks Canada, in cooperation with the Łutsël K'é Dene First Nation can help you with filming questions and ideas, but your application should include a detailed list of proposed filming locations and a filming schedule. We understand schedules change and we can try to accommodate changes. Providing specific dates and location information ensures a timely process for you and gives us a better idea of what is possible. We strongly recommend researching locations before submitting an application.

Would Parks Canada consider waiving some or all of the permit fees for the production?

Fees may be reduced for proposals that assist Parks Canada and its Indigenous partners in meeting their mandate and provide direct benefits to the park. An example of a direct benefit would be sharing of photos / footage for educational use by Parks Canada and Indigenous partners. Refer to list of fee reductions in the Film Guidelines for more details.

  • What are the permit fees?

    Parks Canada reserves the right to charge the non-refundable application fee upon receiving an application for a film licence. Fees must be received prior to filming/photography activities. The Goods and Service Tax (GST) is included in all fees.

    Production Crew Size Application Fee (per project) Location Fee (per day)
    1-6 $153.50 $511.25
    7-15 $383.50 $1,022.75
    16-30 $767.00 $1,533.75
    31-99 $2,556.25 $2,045.25
    100+ $3,067.75 $2,556.25

    Depending on the scope, location and crew size associated with the project, monitoring fees (including overtime) may be charged to the production company in addition to the fees listed above.

Use of UAVs

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) are increasing in popularity for hobbyists, photographers, and businesses. In national parks, the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and National Parks of Canada Aircraft Access Regulations, prohibit the take-off and landing a drone without a Parks Canada Restricted Activity Permit. Only Field Unit Superintendents may permit the use of unmanned aerial vehicles over Parks Canada property for purposes directly related to protected heritage area administration.

UAV/Drones FAQ

Transport Canada indicates that Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), or “drones,” that weigh 250 grams (g) up to and including 25 kilograms (kg), and are operated within the drone pilot’s visual-line-of-sight, and is used for recreational purposes, you don’t need permission to fly. Why doesn’t Parks Canada apply the same rules?
National parks, national historic sites, and national marine conservation areas represent the very best that Canada has to offer. This restriction in Parks Canada’s protected areas is important to ensure the safety of wildlife and the quality of the visitor experiences. This is consistent with how UAVs are managed in other protected sites.
What is the consequence for a member of the public caught using a drone?
Contravention of these regulations may result in law enforcement action, including a $3000 fine for flying too high or too close to buildings, people or wildlife.
Where can members of the public report the use of drones in Parks Canada places?
Members of the public observing the use of drones are invited to contact the visitor information centre or park warden office in the park/site where use of the drone was observed or by calling our general information line toll-free at 1-888-773-8888.
Parks Canada owns and operates drones, but the public can’t. Is that fair?
Agency-approved drone usage supports Parks Canada’s mandate to protect ecological and commemorative integrity while presenting national parks, historic sites, and marine conservation areas to the public. A Field Unit Superintendent may authorize the use of drones for natural or cultural resource management, public safety, law enforcement, or park/site management purposes, including filming for outreach, education and promotional purposes. Parks Canada’s use of drones is carefully controlled.
Will Parks Canada permit the use of drones for third-party scientific research?
The use of drones for research purposes directly related to park/site management may be authorized by a Field Unit Superintendent. A permit application and subsequent approval process is required.
Will Parks Canada permit the use of drones for commercial filming?
The use of drones for commercial filming purposes may be authorized by a Field Unit Superintendent – similar to the use of helicopters or other filming methods. A permit application and subsequent approval process is required.
Why do some commercial filming and research permits allow drone usage and some do not get permission to operate a drone? If I can operate a drone in one Parks Canada place, does it apply to all others?
  • Parks Canada manages one of the finest and most extensive systems of protected natural and cultural heritage areas in the world. A Field Unit Superintendent may authorize limited use for natural and cultural resource management, public safety, law enforcement, or park/site management purposes, including filming for outreach, education and promotional purposes.
  • A permit must be sought from each national park or historic site before a drone can be operated because some commercial filming or research may support needs and goals associated with park or site management in one protected place but not in another.

Transport Canada links
From Transport Canada: Flying your drone safely and legally

Map of where you can operate a drone in Canada - Drone site selection tool 

Date modified :