Commercial film and travel media

Jasper National Park

Wedding photographers

The Mountain National Parks include Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, Yoho, Mount Revelstoke, Glacier and Waterton Lakes national parks. These parks boast unparalleled film, photographic and recreational possibilities which leave visitors feeling re-energized and inspired to return. To care for these amazing places and ensure visitors’ wishes are fulfilled, filming activities have special considerations.

If you wish to visit Parks Canada places and undertake a film or photo shoot, you may require a film/photo permit, or you may simply need to register your project. Choose your project category below for my information.

Travel media

If you wish to visit Parks Canada places in person and undertake a film or photo shoot, you may require a film/photo permit, or you may simply need to register your project. This will depend on the scale of your project.

Do I need a film/photo permit or project registration?

Most small-scale projects only require project registration, rather than a film/photo permit. Your project is considered “small-scale” if your project meets all of the following criteria.

  • Project is intended to inform audiences about the work of Parks Canada and/or to promote visitation to Parks Canada places.
  • Crew size is of six people or fewer (including models or other talent).
  • Equipment is limited to cameras, tripods, microphones, or other hand-held equipment.
  • Activities remain in areas open to the public and during normal operating hours only.
  • Adheres to all laws and regulations.
  • No drones are used.

If you meet these criteria, fill out the Small-Scale Travel Media Film and Photo Project Registration form.

Registering your small-scale travel media film and photo project

  • We recommend you register your shoot at least 20 business days in advance to avoid surprises in the rare case that your project poses operational challenges. Please note that registering your project does not exempt it from standard visitors’ fees; this decision remains at the park’s discretion.
  • The guide to film/photo shoots at Parks Canada is available to assist you with conducting your film and photo activities. You may also contact the Parks Canada location where you plan to shoot for more specific inquiries.

If your project does not meet the criteria of a small-scale shoot, you must apply for a film/photo permit by contacting Fees may apply.

We look forward to working with you, and we’ll see you soon!

Travel media are a key partner in showcasing our beautiful national parks, national historic sites and national marine conservation areas. Contact us for travel tips, best dates and times to avoid crowds, and hidden gems and unique locations within our sites.

Commercial filming and photography

Jasper National Park will not be accepting applications for large-scale commercial film projects (crew over 6 people) during the period of
June 1 to September 30, 2024 due to significant visitation and operational demand on Parks Canada resources. Applications made for this period will not be processed.

What works well

  • Productions involving minimal equipment, crew size and impact on the environment and visitors;
  • Productions contributing to public awareness, appreciation and understanding of Canada’s national parks and Parks Canada;
  • Productions requesting off-season and/or weekday shooting dates.


Submit an application, a minimum of 20 business days prior to intended film/photography activities. Applications are assessed against Canada's National Parks Act, national park regulations and contribution to awareness, appreciation and education of national parks. If approved, a Commercial Film/Photography permit is issued.

Note: Parks Canada imposes the right to refuse applications that are not in the best interest of the Agency or revoke permission if terms and conditions of the permit are violated.


Is your project small scale or travel media? Review here:

Park regulations

Full compliance with the Canada National Parks Act and Park Regulations is required. These include, but are not limited to:

  1. No open firearms, use of firearms (includes discharging of blank ammunition or explosives), or hunting;
  2. No damaging, destruction or removal of natural or cultural resources;
  3. No feeding, enticing (e.g. baiting, calling), touching, harassing, or disturbing park wildlife;
  4. No littering or leaving food or garbage where wildlife can access it (all food and garbage must be stored or disposed of in bear-proof containers and/or packed out);
  5. No off-roading anywhere in the park; no ATVs, skidoos, or jet-boats; no boats with any kind of motor in park waters (except on Lake Minnewanka);
  6. All aerial filming must comply with Canadian Air Regulations; the use of recreational UAV/Drones is not allowed and requires a Restricted Activity Permit in all other circumstances;
  7. No fires outside of designated fire rings or stoves supplied at park campgrounds and day use areas (cigar/cigarette butts and matches are litter and must be fully extinguished and disposed of appropriately);
  8. No camping outside of designated campgrounds and campsites;
  9. No entering of closed areas.

Detailed fees list

Other fees may be applicable.

Photographer's code of conduct


Jasper National Park is a protected place with a diversity of wildlife. Your actions have a big impact on the health and survival of wild animals. When capturing the perfect shot, be a smart photographer and follow these guidelines.

Safe and respectful wildlife viewing

Give wildlife space

Do not approach wildlife. Stay 30m (3 bus lengths) away from elk, deer, and moose. Stay 100m (10 bus lengths) away from bears and other carnivores. This is a park regulation. Offenders may be charged and/or may have their business licence revoked.

If you are close enough to take a selfie, you are too close.

If an animal approaches you, you are responsible for backing away. Be alert for any animal warning signs that indicate you are too close.

Do not chase, follow, pursue, stalk, entice, or otherwise harass wildlife.

Parks Canada staff may need to manage wildlife for the safety of the animals and park visitors. This will take priority over wildlife viewing and photography. Your cooperation is mandatory.

Text description

You must not approach, remain, view, or engage in any other activity within 100m of bears, cougars, or wolves, or within 30m of elk, moose, caribou, sheep, or goats.

Stay in your vehicle if you see wildlife while driving

Observe, take photographs from the safety of your vehicle, and move on to avoid traffic jams.

Human food and garbage kill wildlife

Do not feed wildlife. This is a park regulation. Offenders may be charged and/or have their business licence revoked.

You are responsible for your own safety

When on the trails, carry bear spray. Know how to use it.

Roadside photography

Notice of Restriction - Wildlife Viewing Practices in Jasper National Park

roadside wildlife photography

The following restrictions apply to anyone viewing wildlife from within 400m of any road, parking lot, or place intended for the passage or parking of vehicles within Jasper National Park. These rules are in place to ensure that longstanding guidelines surrounding wildlife viewing are respected, and to ensure a safe and positive wildlife viewing experience for all visitors and the wildlife themselves.

You must not approach, remain, view, or engage in any other activity within 100m of bears, cougars, or wolves, or within 30m of elk, moose, caribou, sheep, or goats. If you wish to view wildlife from closer than these distances, you must be completely inside your motor vehicle, and your motor vehicle must be parked legally and safely.

You must not remain within the prescribed distances, even if you find yourself close to wildlife by accident or surprise. If approached by wildlife you must retreat to a safe distance or return to your vehicle.

You must not interfere with the movement of wildlife, or through your actions, create an unsafe condition for wildlife or visitors.

Parks Canada staff on site may identify an unsafe condition at any time. They may direct you to return to your vehicle or to leave the area. It is your responsibility to cooperate with the direction provided by Parks Canada employees.

Low impact visits
  • Park in designated parking spots and roadside pull-offs.
  • For your safety and the safety of others, avoid long stops on roadside shoulders.
  • If a parking lot is full, move on to another location.
  • Conduct your photography earlier in the day or in the evening to avoid the crowds.
  • Protect wildlife habitat. Stay in areas open to the public.
  • Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV or Drone) use is restricted in all national parks.
  • Check the important bulletins on our website before heading out. It is your responsibility. to know park regulations, park restrictions, and what areas are closed to public access.
  • Do not cross barriers and fences; they are there for a reason.
  • Make wise choices to keep you and wildlife safe. Live to take another photograph.

Reporting violations

If you see violations, please report them to Jasper Dispatch, 780-852-6155.

Take note of vehicle make, colour, licence plate number and any other relevant information.

Professional photography

You need to have a business license from Jasper National Park if you:

  • are hired to take photos in the park
  • plan to sell photos taken in the park

Visit the business licences page to apply.


  • Wedding photography
  • Special event photography
  • Wildlife photography
  • Nature and landscape photography

Hobby photographers do not require any permit or licence. Please be sure to follow all park regulations while photographing in the Park.

Guided tours

Applications for guided/outfitter business licences are reviewed twice annually. The deadlines for the submission of applications is March 1 and September 1 of each year.

Guided business licences include the following activities: hiking tours, road biking tours, backpacking tours, interpretive walks, guided mountaineering, guided ski touring, guided cross-country ski touring, guided horseback tours, rafting tours, angling guides, scuba diving, stand-up paddleboard, outfitting, and all wilderness related tours and guided programs.

For more information on how to apply for a guided business licence please contact:


Filming and photography permit contacts – Mountain Parks

Planning to film in the Town of Jasper? Additional film permits may be required, further information.

Planning to film in the Town of Banff? Additional film permits may be required, further information.

Lake Louise, Yoho and Kootenay:

Waterton Lakes:

Mount Revelstoke and Glacier:

Date modified :