Military presence during the war
Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site
Mission: Ward off any land manoeuvres made by the enemy between Prescott and Montréal
Boosted by the development of lighter artillery, the art of war underwent significant changes during the second half of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. Quick and sudden manoeuvres gradually replaced slow and stationary sieges. This led to the proliferation of light artillery and infantry corps, which contributed to greater troop mobility.
Strategies and tactics developed during the Anglo-American War of 1812-1814, reflected this evolution. Although the naval forces on the Great Lakes played a prominent role during the conflict, overland routes of entry increasingly preoccupied the British officers. From the outbreak of hostilities, they focused on enemy movements on these roads, relying on the mobility of defensive troops and their rapidity in getting to the battle site.
Large numbers of troops stationed in Coteau were tasked with warding off any land manoeuvres by the enemy between Prescott and Montréal.
Did you know that in 1778, the Coteau-du-Lac Point was claimed from Lord of Beaujeu, in the name of King George, for the purpose of territorial defence? It went from a seigneury to a military property.
- Date modified :