Lockage and navigation
Chambly Canal National Historic Site
Navigate the canal while discovering an exceptional environment and take part in a memorable voyage back in time !
Enjoy your trip on the Chambly Canal and explore exceptional bridges and locks with manual mechanisms.
The Chambly Canal National Historic Site offers a fascinating trip along the Richelieu River. The Canal’s 9 locks, eight of which are still operated manually, as well as swing, rolling and lift bridges set the pace for your excursion.
Everyone knows Parks Canada’s waterways for the beauty of their surroundings and for the memorable and safe navigation experience that they offer. Did you know that an overnight stay there is also possible?
- Length: 19.31 km (12 miles)
- Elevation: approximately 24 m (more than 78 feet)
- Guaranteed draught: 2 m (6 feet 6 inches)
- Bridge clearance: 8.84 m (29 feet)
- Effective dimensions of the smallest lock: 33.52 m x 7 m (110 feet x 23 feet)
- Number of locks: 9
- Number of active bridges: 7
- Maximum speed allowed: 10 km/h or avoid wakes
- Estimated duration of trip: between 3 and 5 hours
- Date modified :