Culture and history
Carillon Barracks National Historic Site
Built between 1830 and 1837, the Carillon Barracks were erected during the construction of the first Ottawa River canal system, a project triggering a regional economic boom. The construction of this building was probably undertaken in order to mitigate a lack ofhousing as the site became a stopover. During the events of 1837 and 1838, the British army requisitioned the building and made the first renovations to it. Between 1840 and 1936, the building was again used as a civil housing resource, as a hotel. Since then, the building houses the museum of the Historical Society of Argenteuil County.
In 1939, the Historical Society of Argenteuil County created the Argenteuil Regional Museum, a pioneering institute of Québec museum history. This cultural institution presents the history of the Aboriginal, French, British, Québec and Canadian people. The society preserves within its walls some 7,000 objects. The different halls recall the working force, the military life, daily and clothing habits, fine arts as well as Dollard des Ormeaux and the life and works of Sir John- Joseph Caldwell Abbott and Maude Abbott.
For more information, please visit Web site links :
- Argenteuil Regional Museum (only in French)
- Date modified :