Stewardship and management
Fort St. James National Historic Site
Fort St. James was designated a National Historic Sites and Monuments on May 17, 1948. It is designated to commemorate the role of the present post and its predecessors on Stuart Lake (1806-1952) in the fur trade of the Pacific Slope, as an important centre of trade and cooperation with the First Nations of the Pacific Slope, as the primary trading post in north-central British Columbia and the administrative centre of the District of New Caledonia, as an important link in transportation and communications in northern British Columbia.
- Date modified :