Visitor guidelines

Kluane National Park and Reserve

For everybody’s enjoyment and safety

National park laws are designed to protect your safety and to ensure that these special places remain unimpaired for future generations. It is your responsibility to be aware of the laws and regulations, and ensure that you follow them, but we are here to help. If you have any questions after reading this, please stop in at one of the Kluane National Park and Reserve Visitor Centers or contact the office in Haines Junction at 867-634-7250 or or

National parks are unique places and therefore require unique laws and persons to enforce them. Park Wardens are federal peace officers responsible for the protection of natural and cultural resources, and the preservation and maintenance of public peace in national parks. Park wardens enforce the Canada National Parks Act, the Criminal Code, Species at Risk Act, Migratory Birds Convention Act and some Yukon legislation. Offences in national parks can carry heavy fines and even result in jail time. For a complete list of legislation that applies to national parks, visit Acts and Regulations.

We need your help

Please report any unlawful or suspicious activity to Park Wardens immediately. You should not confront someone or investigate further. You can report suspicious and illegal activities (including photos) by sending an email to For urgent matters, please call our reporting line.

Report Violations

1-877-852-3100 (toll free) or 1-780-852-3100 (from a sat phone)

What we need to know
  • Date
  • Time
  • Location (trail/road, description, GPS coordinates)
  • Vehicle information (description and identifying numbers from any vehicle, boat, ATV, snowmobile, aircraft, etc.)
  • People involved (number of people, approximate ages, physical descriptions, clothing, what equipment they had with them, etc.)
  • What happened (describe the event and what you observed)
  • Photos
  • Your name and contact information
    (If Wardens need clarification or more information)

Your information and participation contributes to the protection of this special place for all visitors.

Harvesting by First Nations

Some of these regulations do not apply to individuals exercising rights protected under Yukon First Nation Final Agreements, court decisions, the Constitution, or other indigenous rights as reached through an agreement with Canada. This includes subsistence harvesting and associated activities by White River, Kluane, and Champagne and Aishihik First Nations in their respective Traditional Territories.

Traditional Harvesting Activities in Kluane National Park and Reserve

Aircraft and drones (UAVs)

All aircraft landings in national parks require an aircraft access permit. In Kluane, there are 8 designated landing sites where aircraft may request permission to land, but other sites may also be authorized on a case by case basis (for example, in the Kluane Icefields). Aircraft access permits can support hiking trips, Alsek River trips and mountaineering expeditions.

Aircraft access permits

An aircraft access permit must be obtained for each and every landing within the park. It is your responsibility to obtain the aircraft access permit in advance of your flight and to provide this information to the pilot. You will need to secure the landing dates with a Park employee and provide all aircraft information before completing your registration. Please contact Kluane National Park and Reserve visitor centre in Haines Junction for more details.


There can be multiple landings and take-offs associated with each Aircraft Access Permit.

Designated landing sites

Green belt
Day trips and two-way overnight trips (drop off AND pick up) are allowed at Big Horn Lake and Onion Lake landing areas; Lowell Lake remains one-way only (put-in OR take out) due to cumulative effects and compatibility concerns.

Aircraft access permits may be obtained at the Kluane National Park and Reserve visitor centre in Haines Junction and Thechàl Dhâl visitor centre. Outside of the summer visitor season please contact: 1-867-634-7250

  • Bighorn Lake
    latitude 61°08′30″N, longitude 139°22′40″W
  • Onion Lake
    latitude 60°05′37″N, longitude 137°25′57″W
  • Lowell Lake and Lowell Lake Bar
    latitude 60°16′14″N, longitude 137°59′25″W

For icefields aircraft access permits, please contact

  • Quintino Sella Glacier
    latitude 60°36′20″N, longitude 140°48′30″W
  • Hubbard Glacier
    latitude 60°34′00″N, longitude 140°07′30″W
  • Cathedral Glacier
    latitude 60°14′15″N, longitude 138°58′00″W
  • South Arm Kaskawulsh Glacier
    latitude 60°30′30″N, longitude 138°53′00″W
  • Dusty Glacier
    latitude 60°24′00″N, longitude 138°24′16″W

Flying in and around national parks and historic sites in Yukon and northern British Columbia

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs/drones) are not permitted for personal use anywhere in national parks. Paragliding, parachuting, skydiving, and BASE jumping are also prohibited.



Alcohol is permitted and can be consumed in public everywhere in Kluane National Park and Reserve. It is, however, unlawful to operate a motor vehicle (including a boat) while drinking or while impaired, and public intoxication is prohibited. Furthermore, any event in the Park where alcohol will be served must also be permitted through the Yukon Liquor Corporation.

Area closures and restrictions

Area closures and restrictions are sometimes required to protect park resources and visitors. These are posted at the Kluane National Park & Reserve Office, Park Visitor Centers, Park Warden office, at trailheads, and on Important Bulletins.


Bicycles are permitted on trails and roads throughout Kluane National Park and Reserve. While the use of helmets is not mandatory in the Yukon, they are strongly recommended. Because of the risk of surprising a bear, it is also advisable to make plenty of noise, travel in groups, have bear spray readily accessible, and pick trails that have good sight-lines when riding.

Pedal-assist electric bikes (e-bikes)

Pedal-assist electric bikes (e-bikes) are also allowed on trails and roads throughout Kluane. To be permitted on trails in National Parks, pedal-assist electric bicycles must meet the following qualifications:

  • has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
  • is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,
  • is capable of being propelled by muscular power only,
  • has one or more electric motors which have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:
    • it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,
    • power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,
    • it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground, and
  • is equipped with a safety mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h.

Please note that e-bikes equipped with an accelerator (throttle) are not pedal assist e-bikes, and can only be ridden on roads.


Motorboats can only be used on Kathleen Lake and Mush Lake. Most rivers and lakes in the Park are open to non-motorized (human or wind-powered) boats. Sockeye Lake remains closed to all access between July 15 and October 30. All boats must carry the appropriate safety equipment and have a life vest on board for each occupant.

Use of personalized watercraft (Sea-Doos, Wave-Runners, Jet Skis) is prohibited throughout Kluane National Park and Reserve.


Camping at Kathleen Lake Campground

The Kathleen Lake Campground has campsites that can be reserved ahead of time and first-come, first-served campsites. Self-registration camping permits for the Kathleen Lake Campground are available on-site when the campground is open. The camping permit holder is responsible for the site, and for ensuring that wildlife attractants are properly managed and secured.

Kluane also has 5 oTENTiks in the Kathleen Lake Campground that can be reserved ahead of time using the Parks Canada Reservation system. For your safety, no food preparation, food or drink storage, eating, drinking, or cooking is allowed inside the oTENTik. All food and related items must be stored in the bear resistant storage lockers or in your vehicle during your stay.

"Bare" Campsite Program


It is an offence to interfere with other visitors’ quiet enjoyment of the park during any part of the day or night. Profane language, loud music and shouting in campgrounds, day-use areas and on trails is prohibited. Quiet hours are enforced, and generators are not allowed to be operated between 11PM and 7AM in the Kathleen Lake Campground.

Backcountry camping

Between April 1 and November 15, visitors to Kluane National Park and Reserve are required to get a camping permit and register prior to leaving on any overnight backcountry trips. Visitors must also de-register as soon as they return. The permit holder is responsible for the site, and for ensuring that wildlife attractants are properly managed and secured.

Registration, de-registration, and backcountry camping permits are available at the Park Visitor Centers or at the self-registration kiosk outside the Park Visitor Center in Haines Junction (when the Centre is closed for the season).

Bear resistant food storage

All camping in Kluane National Park and Reserve between April 1 and November 15 requires the use of approved bear-resistant products for storing wildlife attractants. The only exceptions to this requirement are for 1) travel within the Kluane Icefields Area, and 2) where attractants are stored inside a motor vehicle, bear proof garbage cans, or provided lockers (at the Kathleen Lake Campground).

Approved bear-resistant food containers are those products listed as certified by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee.

Approved bear-resistant food canisters are available free of charge from the park visitor centers, or by calling 867-634-7250 to make prior arrangements.

Winter camping

Overnight trips between November 16 and March 31 do not require camping permits, registration/de-registration, or the use of approved bear resistant storage products, but visitors are required to camp at least 2 km from the nearest road or point of motorized access. All travel in the Kluane Icefields Area requires a permit and registration/de-registration year-round.


Travel in the Kluane Icefields Area (including Mountaineering) is a high-risk activity that is regulated through a permit system. Access to and from the Icefields most often requires aircraft and additional permits, and mountaineers are required to coordinate with Canadian Border Services Agency if they are considering entering through the neighbouring U.S. National Parks. Advance planning is required for any trips into the Kluane Icefields Area.


Alsek River trips

There is a quota system in place to protect the wilderness character of the Alsek River and to help reduce conflicts with, and impacts on, Grizzly bears in the area. There are also special restrictions regarding fires, managing human waste and camping locations. Advance planning for Alsek River trips is required.

Rafting the Alsek River


Cannabis is legalized and strictly regulated in Canada. It is your responsibility to understand federal, provincial, and municipal regulations for cannabis use.

Where cannabis can be used in Kluane National Park and Reserve:

  • Public use (including day-use areas): Not allowed
  • Registered Parks Canada campsites (Kathleen Lake Campground and backcountry): Allowed
  • Campground common areas: Not allowed
  • Backcountry: Not allowed
  • Trails: Not allowed
  • Parking lots, roads and in vehicles: Not allowed

Commercial activity

All businesses providing services in Kluane Park require a Parks Canada Business License. This includes activities by individuals, charitable organizations, not-for-profit groups, aircraft companies, commercial filming and photography, and any other special event conducted by an individual or an organization in the Park.

Please contact Kluane National Park and Reserve at or 867-634-7250 for more information, or to request an application.


When camping, a permit is required for all open fires between April 1 and November 15.

Fire permits are not required between November 16 and March 31, but are restricted to the frozen surface of Kathleen Lake, and non-vegetated surfaces in backcountry settings (at least 2 km from the point of nearest motorized access (motorboat, snowmobile, and vehicle)).

Permits are not required for camp stoves with bottled fuel, BBQs, wood stoves (eg: in the Kathleen Lake Day Use Shelter), or for day use (where the fire is contained in one of the steel fire rings located throughout the Park).

Where and when fires are allowed, visitors must follow these rules:

  • Use a steel fire ring (where provided) or an existing fire impacted site in backcountry settings,
  • Keep fires small to reduce impact and conserve wood,
  • Only use wood provided, and do not burn garbage or collect deadfall,
  • Never leave a fire unattended, and
  • Completely extinguish the fire and remove all garbage prior to leaving the area.

Fires are prohibited in the Aay Chu, Bullion, and Congdon Creek valleys (gas camp stoves for cooking are still permitted).

Additional fire bans may be posted when an extreme fire hazard prohibits or restricts fires in other areas of the Park.

Firearms and hunting


Hunting and the possession of firearms is strictly prohibited in national parks.

Firearms may be transported on specific roads within Kluane National Park and Reserve, but must be unloaded, securely encased, and remain in a motor-vehicle at all times. For the purposes of the National Parks Wildlife Regulations, a “Firearm” also includes slingshots, bows, BB guns, crossbows and paintball guns. Poaching in national parks carries serious penalties.



Use of fireworks, flares, bear bangers, or any other explosive is prohibited in Kluane National Park and Reserve.


Anglers are required to have a valid Kluane National Park and Reserve Fishing License and adhere to the National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations. Yukon territorial fishing licenses are not valid in national parks.

Angling regulations

In an effort to recover declining populations in the Park, the Kokanee Salmon fishery has been closed and any Kokanee must be released.

Garbage and recycling

All garbage must be packed out or deposited in a bear-proof garbage can (when provided). Burning or burying garbage is not acceptable. In the backcountry, please also dispose of human waste in a responsible manner and practice “Leave-No-Trace” hiking and camping. Please recycle wherever possible.

Motor vehicles

Motor vehicles are required to remain on the hardened, paved, or gravelled portion of the roadway, and are not permitted to travel off-road. Please park only in designated areas, and where it does not pose a risk to others.

Natural and historic objects


It is illegal to remove, damage or destroy wood, plants, animals, animal parts (including antlers and horns), fossils, rocks, and other natural objects. It is also unlawful to remove, damage or destroy any prehistoric artifacts, historic artifacts, or cultural structures in national parks.

Please leave these in place for others to enjoy. If you believe you have found something significant, record the location (GPS), take a picture, and report your finding to Parks staff.


Permits are required for the following activities and are available at the Park Visitor Centers, or by calling 867-634-7250:

  • Open fires (between April 1 and November 15)
  • Camping and registration/de-registration (between April 1 and November 15)
  • Fishing
  • Aircraft landings and take offs (including use of UAVs and drones)
  • Business and guiding activities
  • Research and collection activities
  • Filming or photography for commercial purposes
  • Special events
  • Taking horses, donkeys or mules into the Park (except Dezadeash River Trail)
  • Travel within the Kluane Icefields Area (including mountaineering)
  • Travel on the Alsek River (including rafting)

Pets and service animals

All dogs and other domestic animals must be kept on a leash and under physical control at all times. Please pick up after your pets and do not allow them to chase wildlife. Anyone intending to bring horses, mules, or donkeys into the Park requires a permit. Service animals are welcome, in the company of their handlers. Please keep service animals on a leash or harness during your visit.

Due to the risk of disease transfer to native sheep populations, domestic llamas, sheep, and goats are not allowed in the Park.


Research in National Parks is regulated, and permits are required for all research, including social science, natural science, cultural, archeological, and anthropological research, interviews, and all collection from the Park.

Anyone interested in conducting research in Kluane National Park and Reserve should review the page on important Information for Researchers.

Smoking and Vaping


In Kluane, smoking is prohibited in the Kathleen Lake Day Use Shelter and within 5m of the Shelter and any picnic tables.

There are currently no regulations around vaping in the Yukon.

Snowmobiles and All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

Snowmobiles are only allowed on the frozen surface of Kathleen Lake, the access road to the Kathleen Lake Day Use Area and the pipeline right-of-way between Haines Junction and the south end of Dezadeash Lake. When operated on maintained roads and parking lots, snowmobiles must be registered, properly equipped, and operators are required to be licensed. In addition, helmets are required for operators and passengers when snowmobiles are being used on maintained roadways and parking lots, and at all times for youth under the age of 16.

The use of ATVs, dirt bikes, and other off-road vehicles is strictly prohibited in Kluane National Park and Reserve.



It is illegal to entice, pursue, pet (or attempt to pet), harass, or feed wild animals in national parks. This includes disturbing or destroying a nest, lair or den.

All food, garbage, and other attractants must be secured so that they are not accessible to bears and other wildlife. Animal behaviour is unpredictable and could result in injury if they are not given enough space.

For additional information specific to bears, please refer to You are in Bear Country.

Date modified :