S.S. Klondike National Historic Site
Steam powered river transportation was a central element in the development and connection of the Yukon to the outside world for almost a century after the first vessel reached Fort Selkirk in 1866. The largest vessel ever to ply the Canadian portion of the Yukon River, the S.S. Klondike II was built by the British Yukon Navigation Co. and launched at Whitehorse in 1937 to replace her namesake, which sank the year before. Her retirement in 1955 brought to an end the era of commercial steamboat navigation in the Yukon.
The S.S. Klondike was designated a National Historic Site because of her association with the inland water transportation system connecting the Yukon to the outside world.
Cultural resource management
As a National Historic Site of Canada the S.S. Klondike is managed according to the principles outlined in Parks Canada's Cultural Resource Management Policy.
Historic site management
Site management practices and initiatives specific to the S.S. Klondike are further guided by:
Commercial film and photography guidelines
In order to protect the sites’ resources and visitor experiences, and ensure the rights of land claim beneficiaries are not affected, commercial filming and photographic activities have special considerations.
- Date modified :