Lachine Canal National Historic Site
The Lachine Canal is located in the southwest of Montreal City. The banks and the canal path are accessible by bike, public transit or by car.
Its waterway is 14.5 km long and is accessible through Lock No. 1 in the Old Port of Montreal and Lock No. 5 in the borough of Lachine.
Square-Victoria for the Old Port Locks Sector, Lionel-Groulx for the Atwater Market Sector, Charlevoix for the Atwater Market Sector and Saint-Gabriel Lock. Cyclists please note that the Charlevoix station is only 100 metres from the canal bikepath. Contact Société de transport de Montréal (STM) to find out the times when you may take your bicycle on the metro.
The Lachine Sector is on the westbound route of the 195 bus, from the Angrignon metro station (schedule and route). The Peel Basin sector is served by the 61 bus southbound, from metro stations McGill and Square-Victoria (schedule and route) and the 107 bus southbound, from the Peel metro station (schedule and route). The Côte-Saint-Paul Lock Area is served by the 78 bus westbond from Lionel-Groulx metro station, stop at the corner of Saint-Ambroise and Saint-Rémi. The Saint-Gabriel Sector is served by the 57 bus, from metro stations Guy-Concordia or Charlevoix.
Consult the Canal's path section.
Accessible parking lots (some charge fees) are the following:
- Sector of the Old Port Locks, Alexandra Basin, De la Commune street near Du Port street;
- Peel Basin Sector, on Mill Street, under the Bonaventure Autoroute;
- Atwater Market Sector, near the Notre-Dame and Atwater intersection;
- Côte-Saint-Paul Lock Sector, Centre Gadbois, on Côte-Saint-Paul road;
- LaSalle Coke Crane Sector, Notre-Dame Street West;
- Saint-Pierre Sector, Gauron Boulevard south of Notre-Dame;
- LaSalle Sector, Saint-Patrick Street near Dupras Street;
- Lachine Lock Sector, Du Canal Road (continuation of Saint-Patrick Street);
- Old Canal Sector, Saint-Joseph Boulevard and 12th Avenue.
- Date modified :