Parks Canada's infrastructure program
Fort Anne National Historic Site
Completed Infrastructure ProjectsFort Anne, the country’s first operational national historic site, was at the heart of changing social, military, and political relations between the Mi’kmaq, Acadians, French, and British throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Its current star-shaped, Vauban-style fortification dates to 1702, and has been preserved through the efforts of local residents and generations of Canadians who treasure their cultural landscapes.
In celebration of the 100th anniversary of Fort Anne as a national historic site and Canada 150, several infrastructure projects were completed in 2017.
Officers’ Quarters Museum interpretive rehabilitationBuilt by the British military in 1797, this building served as barracks for officers and soldiers until the withdrawal of the garrison in 1854. In 1917, Fort Anne was established as Dominion Park and the building was subsequently used as a museum. It was completely restored in 1935 to create a “modern fireproof museum.” In 2017, a total redesign of the permanent exhibits in the Officers' Quarters was completed to create a more current and interactive experience for visitors, including telling Indigenous stories.
Garrison GraveyardThe Garrison Graveyard stabilisation project included conservation of high priority stones and the restoration of the early-19th century cast-iron fence. The cast iron fence dates from the mid-1870s and was produced by Munro and O’Neill of Lower Water Street in Halifax. It is a rare example of Nova Scotia cast-iron work from this time period.
Acadian residents of the Port-Royal area, members of the French garrison, officials of the French administration at the fort and their families were buried here. Following the British capture of the fort in 1710, it became an Anglican cemetery. The burial ground served the needs of the garrison at the fort as well as the needs of the civilian population of the town of Annapolis Royal. The last burial took place in 1940.
The Historical Association of Annapolis Royal conducts candlelight graveyard tours for visitors using the grave markers as the backdrop to share stories about the lives and customs of the people who shaped Fort Anne and the region.
Queen’s Wharf and walking pathThe Queen’s Wharf ruins are the only visible remains of the 1740 structures that stood outside the ramparts on the waterfront area, reflecting technology from the mid-18th to the early-20th century.
The Queen's Wharf stabilisation project focused on protecting the ruins of the wharf from further erosion. This project also incorporated a new walking path to improve visitor access to the wharf area and to link Fort Anne to the waterfront amphitheatre and boardwalk.
Administration and maintenance buildings
Rehabilitation of Fort Anne’s administration building included the redesign of the office to improve operational and administrative efficiency and service to the public.
Buried under grass, the “maintenance bunker” needed masonry repointing as well as roof repair, which required the removal and replacement of the sod that covers the roof. The removal/rebuilding of the maintenance garage was completed to improve safe work practices and the efficiency of site asset management operations.
- Date modified :