Pukaskwa National Park
Pukaskwa Depot operated at the southern end of Pukaskwa National Park in the early 1900s. A settlement for workers - primarily from Quebec - and their families, the Pukaskwa Depot acted as a base of operations for logging industries along the north shore of Lake Superior. From 1917 until the Great Depression, workers from the Pukaskwa Depot harvested approximately 30,000 cords of wood per year from the area. This timber was shipped by rail and boat along the Lake Superior coast to the pulp mill in Sault Ste. Marie.
Very little remains of the depot in Imogene Cove today, however at its busiest the village consisted of 23 buildings, including a doctor’s office, and had a population of 400. Today only memories and the ruins of cabins recall this once-thriving industry.
- Date modified :