Former Territorial Court House National Historic Site
Klondike National Historic Sites
The Former Territorial Courthouse, is located in Dawson Historical Complex National Historic Site. Built between 1900 and 1901, the Courthouse is closely associated with the establishment of a federal presence in the Northwest and the exercise of Canadian sovereignty. It is one of two remaining examples of early territorial courthouses in Western Canada built by the federal government to oversee judicial matters in the undeveloped remote regions.It is also associated with the Klondike Gold Rush in Dawson.
Exhibiting good aesthetics and functional design, the Courthouse is an excellent and rare example of a turn-of-the-century courthouse executed in wood. It is also one of the best examples of the work of architect Thomas Fuller prior to his becoming Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works. Of modest but imposing classical design, the exterior of the building shows careful attention to composition and proportion. Excellent craftsmanship and materials are evident throughout the building. The Courthouse reinforces the heritage character of its streetscape setting in Dawson Historical Complex and is a familiar landmark to residents and visitors.
- Date modified :