Permits and reservations
Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site
During the summer hiking season (June 1 to September 13), every person overnighting on the Chilkoot Trail, and day users on the Canadian portion of the Chilkoot Trail, require a permit. Those without required permits are subject to fines.
Permits are not required outside the summer hiking season.
Reserving your permits
Reservations for the Canadian side of the Chilkoot Trail will open April 24, 2023 according to the rolling reservation schedule below. Please allow a minimum of 72 hours between the time of your reservation and hike. We will not be accepting walk-ons this season, and reservations are subject to campsite availability. An in-person orientation is mandatory for all hikers.
Please note that the U.S. side of the trail is closed for the 2023 hiking season due to serious flood damage and repair work.
Mandatory hike orientation
In-person orientations are mandatory for all hikers, and are available by appointment in Whitehorse and Skagway. You will be issued your trail permit at your orientation. Please incorporate time to attend an orientation session within a week of your Chilkoot Trail hike. You will receive more information on orientations when you make your reservation.
Rolling reservation schedule
|Reservations open||For hikes starting (Canadian side only)|
|April 24, 2023||June 1 to 30 inclusive|
|May 8, 2023||Up to July 31 inclusive|
|May 29, 2023||Up to August 31 inclusive|
|June 19, 2023||Up to September 13 inclusive|
Monday to Friday, 9 am to 3 pm (Pacific Time)
- 1-800-661-0486 Canada and U.S.
- 1-867-667-3910 local and overseas
Before calling to reserve please ensure that you can provide us with the following information:
- Number of Adults (18 yrs+); Youth (6 to 17); and Children (5 yrs and under)
- Number of tent sites needed
- Your itinerary: desired dates and campgrounds
- Credit card information
Standard cancellation policy:
- Permit fees are refundable up to 3 weeks (21 days) in advance of your trip start date
- Reservation fees are non-refundable
- To cancel your reservation, call 1-800-661-0486 or 1-867-667-3910 and be prepared to provide Parks Canada with your booking number, the name the booking was made under, the number of permits being cancelled, and a phone number where we can reach you (should you leave a message)
Maximum group size in Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site is limited to 12 hikers. Groups of nine to twelve hikers are considered to be large groups. Only one large group is permitted to cross Chilkoot Pass daily.
- Date modified :