Permits and reservations
Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site
During the summer hiking season (June 1 to September 13), every person overnighting on the Chilkoot Trail, and day users on the Canadian portion of the Chilkoot Trail, require a permit. Those without required permits are subject to fines.
Permits are not required outside the summer hiking season. Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, cross-border hiking is currently not permitted.
Reserving your permits
Planning for the 2023 season is currently underway. Please continue to check back for more information on the opening of the reservation line.
Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm (Pacific Time)
- 1-800-661-0486 Canada and U.S.
- 1-867-667-3910 local and overseas
Before calling to reserve please ensure that you can provide us with the following information:
- Number of Adults (18 yrs+); Youth (6 to 17); and Children (5 yrs and under)
- Number of tent sites needed
- Your itinerary: desired dates and campgrounds
- Credit card information
Standard cancellation policy:
- Permit fees are refundable up to 3 weeks (21 days) in advance of your trip start date
- Reservation fees are non-refundable
- To cancel your reservation, call 1-800-661-0486 or 1-867-667-3910 and be prepared to provide Parks Canada with your booking number, the name the booking was made under, the number of permits being cancelled, and a phone number where we can reach you (should you leave a message)
COVID-19 related cancellations:
- Should Parks Canada need to cancel a reservation due to unforeseen COVID-19 restrictions, you will be reimbursed in full (permit and reservation fees)
- Should you need to cancel your reservation due to new COVID-19 travel restrictions that were unforeseen at the time of your reservation, you will be reimbursed in full (permit and reservation fees)
- Should you need to cancel your reservation for other COVID-19 related reasons, including existing COVID-19 travel restrictions that were in place at the time of your reservation, or contracting COVID-19, the standard policy (above) applies.
Maximum group size in Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site is limited to 12, or dictated by B.C.’s Outdoor Gatherings order at the time of your hike, whichever is lower. We encourage making reservations for small, core groups in the event restrictions tighten between time of reservation and your hike. Learn more about B.C. provincial restrictions on outdoor gatherings prior to your hike.
- Date modified :