Culture and history
Fort Battleford National Historic Site
Fort Battleford National Historic Site is located in the Town of Battleford, approximately 150 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon. Established in 1876 by the North West Mounted Police to create a Canadian presence in the North-West Territories, the site was designated a national historic site in 1923.
On May 4, 2022, a ceremony acknowledging the repatriation of a staff ascribed to Chief Poundmaker previously under the care of Parks Canada took place at Fort Battleford National Historic Site. This day marks an important moment for the Poundmaker Family and they share its significance in this statement:
Established in 1876, Fort Battleford presided over some of the most pivotal events in the history of western Canada.
- Date modified :