Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site

Beginning in 1648, governor Montmagny created a garden to the southwest of the Saint-Louis château, close to the current Fairmont Château Frontenac hotel. It was divided into islands, with crossing alleyways. According to 17th century plans, it measured 86 by 75 metres.

Chateau and gardens Château and gardens ca. 1700
© Bacqueville de la Potherie, Histoire de l'Amérique septentrionale (Paris, 1722):230

According to the Jesuits journal, the site was a place of repose, but early on served as a vegetable garden. At the end of the 17th century and through the 18th, trees were added to embellish the garden. In 1753, the palisade around the garden was replaced by a stone wall. In 1783, the upper garden was given an English style, fully wooded and with trails winding through it. In the late 1820s, the monument commemorating Wolfe and Montcalm was erected. The upper garden was opened to the public in 1838 and became an urban park around 1933.

Governor's gardens by James P. Cockburn Governor's gardens by James P. Cockburn
© Library and Archives Canada, C-012684.

After the Conquest, under governor Haldimand, a second garden is added below the first one, which will double the area. From now on, we will talk about high and low gardens.

Located between the cliff and Rue Des-Carrières, the lower section served as a vegetable garden, with part being devoted to strawberries. In 1856, it was transformed into a botanical garden for the Laval Normal School. It ceased to exist following construction of the various terraces.

Date modified :