Louis-Joseph Papineau National Historic Site
The Papineau House
History of the house
- 1711 – Construction of the first house, made of wood, by mason Jean Dablay, on a lot that had belonged to the Sulpicians.
- 1748 – The house and lot are sold to Joseph Papineau, Louis-Joseph's grandfather, a cooper by trade.
- 1752 – Construction of a stone extension to the house behind the original house. This part of the residence is now the rear wing.
- 1779 – The house is sold to John Campbell, superintendent of Indian Affairs.
- 1785 – John Campbell has the wooden house torn down and replaces it with a two-storey stone house, built by Jean-Baptiste Cérat.
- 1809 – The home is purchased by Joseph Papineau, Louis-Joseph's father, from John Campbell's widow.
- 1814 – Louis-Joseph Papineau acquires the home and lot that are located today at 440 Bonsecours Street.
- 1831-1832 – Extensions and renovations of the family home. Louis-Joseph Papineau wants to have a large drawing room. To achieve this, he has to make both the piano nobile (main floor) and the garret bigger, and create a coachway. The door is moved to the far right side of the house, typical of early 19th century architecture. He increases the number of dormers and has new larger windows installed on the piano nobile. He has to raise the ceiling eighteen inches in the drawing room to balance the height with the room's width and length. Finally, to make it all match, Papineau covers the stone and brick facade with imitation-stone wood siding.
© Parks Canada
- 1838-1846 – During the time that Louis-Joseph Papineau is in exile, the house is used as a hotel.
- 1846-1850 – Upon returning from France, Papineau returns briefly to 440 Bonsecours Street.
- 1864-1866 – The home is used as an inn and as the headquarters for a regiment.
- 1866 – The house officially becomes a hotel again (Empire, Rivard & Bonsecours).
- 1875 – Two square-shaped storeys of brick and exterior wrought-iron stairs are added to the house.
© Parks Canada
- 1871-1920 – The house remains the property of the Papineau estate, but is not well maintained.
- 20th century – The back yard of the house becomes a warehouse for a fish merchant, and the rest of the building serves as a rooming house for beggars, with some parts of the house being used as a restaurant, hairdressing salon, laundry and place of entertainment.
- 1920 – The property is sold to Joseph Arthur Paulhus.
- May 21, 1962 – The house is bought by Eric D. McLean.
- Date modified :