Fort Malden National Historic Site
Calling all book worms! If you love history, have an interest in learning, or just need a good book, then we have some great suggestions for you! All books listed are available for purchase at the Fort Malden gift shop, and will provide a great information if you want to dive deeper into the history of Fort Malden.
The War of 1812
Take a step back in time with a good book to understand the development, execution, players and myths of the war of 1812:
- Donald E. Graves. Field of Glory: The Battle of Crysler’s Farm, 1813.
- Donald R. Hickey. Don’t Give up the Ship!: Myths of the War of 1812.
- Jonathon Riley. A Matter of Honour: The life, Campaigns, and Generalship of Isaac Brock.
- Mary Beacock Fryer. Bold Brave and Born to Lead: Major General Isaac Brock and the Canadas
- Pierre Berton. War of 1812
- Richard Feltoe. The Flames of War: The fight for Upper Canada, July-December 1813.
- Richard Feltoe. Redcoated Ploughboys: The volunteer battalion of incorporated militia of Upper Canada 1813-1815.
- Robert Malcomson. Capital in Flames: The American Attack on York 1813.
- Robert Malcomson. Lords of the Lake: The naval war on Lake Ontario 1812-1814.
- Robert Malcomson. A Very Brilliant Affair: The Battle of Queenston Heights, 1812.
- Tom Taylor. Brock’s Agent: One Country’s Hero is Another’s Scoundrel.
- Tom Taylor. Brock’s Assassin.
- Tom Taylor. Brock’s Railroad: A novel of freedom in the War of 1812.
- Tom Taylor. Brock’s Traitor: A novel of honor in the War of 1812.
- Wesley B. Turner. The Astonishing General: The Life and Legacy of Sir Isaac Brock.
- Wesley B. Turner. British Generals in the War of 1812.
Upper Canada Rebellion 1837-1839
Whether you’re an expert or a novice historian there is bound to be something to learn about the Upper Canada Rebellion from these books:
- Chris Carter and David Dicaire. Essex County in the 1830’s The Rebellious Decade in Upper Canada.
- Maria Da Silva and Andrew Hind. Rebels Against Tories: In Upper Canada 1837.
Run out of homeschooling material? No worries! These books are perfect for any young reader looking to learn more about Canadian History. Choose from a variety of topics:
- Robert Livesey et A.G. Smith. Les défenseurs. (In French only)
- Robert Livesey et A.G. Smith. Les loyalistes. (In French only)
- Robert Livesey et A.G. Smith. Les Premières Nations. (In French only)
- Robert Livesey et A.G. Smith. Les rebelles: contestataires et bâtisseurs. (In French only)
- Steve Pitt. To Stand and Fight Together: Richard Pierpoint and the Coloured Corps of Upper Canada.
- Date modified :