18-19 to 19-20
|Seven Mountain ParksFootnote 1||8,935,708||9,073,918||2%|
|Marine conservation areasFootnote 2||1,616,749||1,469,364||-9%|
|All other national parks||5,345,653||5,603,275||5%|
|National historic sites||9,198,126||8,741,684||-5%|
|Historic canalsFootnote 3||3,869,721||3,726,260||-4%|
|All other national historic sites||5,328,405||5,015,424||-6%|
|% ▲ indicates percentage change|
Attendance is measured in Person-visits, which is defined as:
- Each time a person enters the land or marine part of a reporting unit for recreational, educational or cultural purposes during business hours.
- Through, local and commercial traffic are excluded.
- Same day re-entries and re-entries by visitors staying overnight in the reporting unit do not constitute new person-visits.
Data are considered to be accurate at time of presentation.
A fiscal year of data represents the period from April 1 to March 31.
Only reporting units with established recording methodology are included in the report.
Visitor attendance data does not include external programming activities such as visitation to schools, presentations to the public, etc. Trends in visitor data must be interpreted with caution. Significant fluctuations in volume can be attributed to many ad hoc factors such as flooding, fire, special events and weather extremes. These external factors should be taken into consideration before determining if a variation is statistically significant.
Location specific notations
- Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse are separate national historic sites. Their close proximity to each other necessitates the inclusion of their data as one reporting unit for visitor attendance.
- Glacier and Mount Revelstoke are separate national parks. Their close proximity to each other necessitates the inclusion of their data as one reporting unit for visitor attendance.
- Pacific Rim Reserve excludes Broken Group Islands, Willowbrae Trail, and West Coast Trail data.
- Prince Edward Island National Park excludes visitation data from Green Gables House.
- Trent-Severn Waterway, Rideau Canal, & Sault Ste. Marie Canal data represents land based activity only.
Specific year notations
- The following locations contain 3 or more months of estimated or duplicated data: Prince Edward Island, Sulphur Mountain Cosmic Ray Station, Bar U Ranch, and the four contiguous mountain parks (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay) group tours youth proportions.
- The following locations have revised their attendance methodology: Kejimkujik, Cape Spear, and the Sault Ste. Marie Canal.
- The following locations experienced closures to part or all of the site due to renovations / repairs / extreme events / other: Kejimkujik, Cape Spear, and the Sault Ste. Marie Canal.
- The following locations contain 3 or more months of estimated or duplicated data: Prince Edward Island, Kouchibouguac, Gwaii Haanas & Haida Heritage Site, York Redoubt, Lachine Canal (land-based), and Bar U Ranch.
- The following locations have revised their attendance methodology: Bruce Peninsula, Fathom Five, and Skmaqn–Port-la-Joye–Fort Amherst.
- The following locations have officially begun reporting attendance: Sable Island, Gulf Islands, and Nááts'ihch'oh.
- The following locations have resumed reporting attendance: Skmaqn–Port-la-Joye–Fort Amherst.
- The following locations no longer report attendance: Sulphur Mountain Cosmic Ray Station.
- The following locations experienced closures to part or all of the site due to renovations / repairs / extreme events / other: Fort Lennox, Manoir Papineau, and the Lachine Canal (land based visitors).
- The following locations have estimated March figures due to complications in reporting arising from COVID- 19 pandemic: Prince Edward Island, Kouchibouguac, Mount Revelstoke / Glacier, Pacific Rim, Fortress of Louisbourg, Fort George, The Forks, Banff Park Museum, Cave and Basin, Chilkoot Trail, Fort Langley, Fort Rodd Hill / Fisgard Lighthouse, Gulf of Georgia Cannery, and Rogers Pass.
- Additional note: All Parks Canada locations were officially closed on March 19 2020 to comply with public health authority advice as part of the COVID-19 pandemic response in Canada.
- Date modified :