Cool things to do at national historic sites
Think national historic sites are just for history buffs? Think again! With guided tours, fascinating cultures, people, stories and legends and even historic weaponry … there are so many awesome activities for the whole family with Parks Canada. Take a trip back in time and learn about heroic, tragic, political, and even goosebump-inducing stories!
Slip into the shadows of the Halifax Citadel to hear its haunted history on a guided ghost tour. Explore the passageways and inner chambers of the historic fort and hold your breath as you find out if the many ghost stories, legends, and unexplained events are true.
Join the gun crew to learn how to fire the mighty quick-firing Hotchkiss Gun. This famous three-pound cannon is set off daily throughout summer to signal the hour of noon to the people of St John’s. Don’t forget to cover your ears!
Meet the people of Batoche and immerse yourself in the 19th century world of Métis settlers as you roll up your sleeves and help with the daily chores on the homestead.
Experience a night of history by camping at Fort Langley. After the last visitors have left, enjoy the place all to yourself as you sleep under the starry sky. Book a comfy oTENTik tent and sleep soundly inside Vancouver's only fort.
Join the troops on the parade ground and be a part of the Fort Malden artillery! See the flash of fire and hear the explosion of the Brown Bess gun and truly immerse yourself in the early history of Canada's military.
Unlock the secrets of The Forks as you explore 6,000 years of history in 60 minutes! Follow in the footsteps of the Indigenous peoples and fur traders who used this meeting place for thousands of years and learn their extraordinary stories.
Go for a cruise aboard the Petit Navire and glide through 150 years of history! Let yourself be lulled by the peaceful waters as you imagine the lives of the merchants who used this very canal. You’ll even get to experience going through a historic lock by boat.
Immerse yourself in the legendary world of the Forges du Saint-Maurice thanks to the Fred Pellerin’s vivid storytelling with Diabolus ex machina, a playful outdoor audio tour.
Discover history with this guided motorized tour! Explore a dozen historic sites in the Red River Valley and learn the history and architecture of southern Manitoba. Just follow the guide!
- The complete guide to visiting Parks Canada
- Ten tips to make the most of your visit
- Less busy alternatives to the most popular national parks
- Scenic drives at Parks Canada
- Magical beaches to explore
- Golfing at Parks Canada places
- Pet-friendly places to stay overnight
- Camping in a Dark-Sky Preserve
- Incredible hikes for an overnight stay in the backcountry
- Which type of overnight adventure is for you?
- Hidden gems to discover
- Stay overnight in a hidden gem
- Animals you might see
- Winter activities to discover
- Best destinations for winter camping
- Best ski adventure destinations
- Celebrate your love story in a place with a story of its own
- Five photo tips with #ParksLife
- Escape rooms at Parks Canada
- Date modified :