Yoho National Park
Issued: July 18, 2022
Ends: November 19, 2022
It's berry season. Bear encounters are likely.
Berry bushes border trails, roads and campgrounds. Black and grizzly bears are feeding on berries right now.
It is easy to surprise a bear that is focused on feeding. To reduce your risk:
• Make noise while on trails.
• Travel in tight groups.
• Trail running and cycling place you at much higher risk. Travel very slowly. Do not wear earbuds.
• Carry bear spray, ensure it is accessible, and know how to use it.
• Watch for fresh bear signs such as scat. Be especially careful near berry patches.
• If you see a bear, stay calm, back away slowly and leave the area. Never run.
- Date modified :