Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve, and Haida Heritage Site
Trip Permit Requirements
Issued: July 19, 2022
Under the authority of the Haida Nation and the Government of Canada, pursuant to Section 7.1(2) of the National Parks General Regulations, and the inherent responsibility of the Haida Nation to protect the lands and waters of Haida Gwaii, the following designated activity requires an authorization issued by the Superintendent of Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve, and Haida Heritage Site:
To enter and travel within Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve, and Haida Heritage Site.
- Independent visitors, researchers, third party contractors, and media personnel require a trip permit, including the holder’s name and trip start and end dates. Trip permits must be in the possession of the individual to whom it was issued whenever they are in Gwaii Haanas.
- Visitors travelling with licensed tour operators are required to be listed in their operator’s trip log. A trip log must be in the possession of the tour guide whenever the group is in Gwaii Haanas.
- The holder of an authorization shall produce it for inspection at the request of the Superintendent, a Park Warden, other Park Officer, or a Haida Gwaii Watchmen.
Terms and Conditions
- Visitors must attend a mandatory annual orientation session prior to the start of their trip.
- Visitors must pay the applicable fees for their respective authorizations.
- Visitors travelling independently in Gwaii Haanas must register with Gwaii Haanas staff prior to the start of their trip.
The designation of these activities is deemed necessary for Gwaii Haanas management purposes.
Engaging in a designated activity without an authorization, or in contravention of the terms and conditions of an authorization, may result in a fine or court appearance under regulations pursuant to the Canada National Parks Act, and where applicable, the cancellation of the authorization.
- Date modified :