Frequently asked questions about staffing
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
We've received some great questions from candidates in past years. Here are some of the most common ones, and our answers.
What is a “staff inventory”?
A “staff inventory” is a pool of interested applicants that Managers can access to create randomized lists of applicants interested in specific job opportunities. We will continue to access our inventories for more applicants as vacancies arise. To ensure your application has the greatest chance for consideration - apply early!
What areas are included in each of the sectors of the Rideau Canal?The areas of the Rideau Canal are as follows,
- Northern Area (Locks 1-27 / Ottawa to Smith Falls)
- Southern Area (Locks 29-49 / Smith Falls to Kingston)
I don’t have a driver’s license. Can I still apply?
Most of the positions with the Ontario Waterways Unit require a driver’s license and you will see it’s a standard item listed on the posters. A minimum license G2 is required but this requirement is at the discretion of the Manger and occasionally is not required.
When do students typically start work for the season?
This answer varies depending on the job you are interested in.
- For Office students, positions typically begin in late April/Early May.
- For Maintenance students, positions typically begin in early to mid-May or the end of June.
- For Operations students, positions begin in two phases; there are limited positions that begin in mid-May, with the majority of students beginning work in late June.
Most students finish work Labour Day weekend.
What are the hours of work for students?
- Office students typically work 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday.
- Maintenance students work 8:00 am to 4:30 pm - 40 hours per week - Monday to Friday.
- Operations students hours of work match our lock station operating hours and students are scheduled by their Supervisor for 36 to 40 hours per week.
I still have more questions, where do I get more information?
If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to respond to your inquiry.
How to apply
- Date modified :